This morning had another opportunity to share on Moody Radio Cleveland in a conversation with Mark Zimmerman on practical things somebody living in Ohio can do to impact the plight of 27 million people caught in modern day slavery. You can listen to the audio in the player above.
At the beginning of the interview Mark asked me to share the story how I first got involved. It was the movie that was shown in January at Passion 2012 called Indifference is Not an Option (see embed below). We played this video to the evo student ministry at new hope community church over the next three weeks and two students: Mitch Weber and Clay Sloan suggested we try and do something to make a difference. I knew of the plans for a Venture sponsored IJM Freedom Tour – a 509 mile tour on bicycles from Cincinnati to the Lincoln Memorial to raise awareness for the work of IJM. Together Mitch, Clay and I raised about $9,000 through many generous gifts and that became a reality in July of 2012.
So here are a few suggestions I mentioned today:
- people need to pray – it’s the #1 thing the field staff of NGO’s like International Justice Mission and A21 say they need in the work.
- mark FEBRUARY 27th on your calendar and join thousands of others who will stand stand up for FREEDOM by marking a red X on the back of their hand and then share on social media with hashtag: #enditmovement
- consider a road trip road trip to the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center in Cincinnati to see first hand an incredible telling of the story of the plight of slavery from the 1500s til present day.
- Host a Nehemiah NIght:An evening of prayer and advocacy! It is a powerful evening where a local church will do the active work of fighting for justice.
- Join the Venture Expeditions IJM Freedom Tour 2014 in the Pacific Northwest. Riding from Seattle to Portland Oregon to raise monies for IJM.
- Follow what Governor John Kasich is doing statewide through the Ohio Awareness Campaign
Tomorrow: Part 2: A Few more thoughts and announcing a book giveaway of The Locust Effect by IJM founder Gary Haugen